A Curry Chicken Recipe to Make at Home
Cook Time: 3 hours
Region of the world: India
Recipe inspired by: Kristie, At Her Table
- 4 lb of boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 lb of boneless white chicken breast
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 onion, studded with six cloves
- 1 small carrot
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion minced
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped preserved or crystallized ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground gloves
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Place the chicken in a deep kettle or Dutch oven with the water, two teaspoons of the salt, the peppercorns, onion, and carrot. Cover and simmer for one hour.
2. Remove the chicken from the broth and cool. Reserve broth. Cut the chicken into small, thin pieces so it turns to a shredded chicken texture as it cooks.
3. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion and saute until tender, but not brown. Stir in curry powder.
4. Gradually stir in the coconut milk and one cup of the strained chicken broth. Add the pepper, remaining salt, ginger, cloves, and mint. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
5. Add the chicken pieces and continue cooking until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes longer. Just before serving, stir in the lime juice and then the cream.
6. Serve on hot basmati rice with chutney and other toppings like coconut flakes, sliced almonds, or raisins.
Since travel is not an option right now, we are looking for interesting and inspiring flavors from around the world to spark your fascination and maybe even bring these delicious ingredients from around the world to your kitchen.
If you like this recipe, checkout this Chicken Makhani recipe and bookmark it for next time!