Chicken Makhani Recipe: A Delicious Dish from Pakistan
Cook Time: 35 mins (plus marinate the chicken for minimum of 30 mins to 24 hours)
Region of the world: Pakistan
Recipe inspired by: Naheed, At Her Table
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breast cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 packet of Butter Chicken Masala (I recommend buying the Shan brand from any South Asian grocery store)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1/4 cup of yogurt
Butter Chicken Sauce
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kasoori methi (substitute with: fenugreek seeds, maple syrup, or celery leaves)
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 packet of Shan Butter Chicken Masala
- 1 8 oz. can Tomato sauce
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pinch red chili powder
1. Marinating the chicken: Take one half of the Shan Masala packet and mix with 1 tablespoon of oil and yogurt to create a paste. Coat the chicken in mixture and allow to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes but for up to 24 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the chicken in the oven but remove it before it is fully cooked (15-20 minutes or while chicken is still really soft).
3. Preparing the sauce: Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add kasoori methi or substitute. In a separate bowl, mix together garlic and ginger pastes, chili powder, remaining half of Shan Butter Chicken Masala packet and a few drops of water. Stir to create a paste and then add paste to the saute pan.
4. When you notice the oil and spices begin to separate, after about 30 seconds to one minute, add can of tomato sauce and stir. You may want to add some water to avoid sticking. Cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the bottle of heavy whipping cream and place on a low boil. Add the chicken and allow to cook for 15 minutes.
6. Add butter and stir until melted. Taste the spice level and add additional chili powder if desired. If it's too spicy, additional heavy cream will help.
7. Add salt to taste. Serve with naan or basmati rice.
Since travel is not an option right now, we are looking for interesting and inspiring flavors from around the world to spark your fascination and maybe even bring these delicious ingredients from around the world to your kitchen.
If you liked this Chicken Makhani dish, bookmark this easy Mac & Cheese recipe. It's the perfect comfort food and is baked Southern-style.