New COVID-19 Safety Measures: Details from Top Cruise Lines
With the July 24th no sail order end date quickly approaching (issued by the CDC), cruise lines are preparing for safe and successful return to the rivers and seas. Here are some specifics policies that a few of your favorite cruise lines are implementing into their guidelines.
Norwegian Cruise Line & Regent Seven Seas
Sister Cruise Lines
- All new air filtration systems. These are medical-grade air-filters that remove 99.95% of airborne pathogens across the entire fleet.
- Enhanced screening protocols including mandatory touchless temperature screenings at embarkation when returning to the ship, and before entering onboard events and dining venues.
- Increased sanitation measures including HOCI fogging technology in staterooms and public areas, increased frequencies of cleaning (24/7 prevention schedule), and buffets will be full service where staff will serve you to minimize shared areas.
- All normal activities will be available but capacity across the fleet will be reduced and capacity in public rooms and events will be limited to encourage social distancing.
- Enhanced medical services on board including increased medical staffing and resources.
- Extended ship to shore safety.
- Changing itineraries to avoid high impact areas.
- Enhanced health requirements including mandatory screening guests or crew with flu-like symptoms prior to embarkation, including thermal scans.
- Highly touched surfaces throughout each embarkation terminal will be sanitized continuously, and terminals will be thoroughly sanitized and fogged when where possible, before and after each embarkation and debarkation.
- Free-flowing hand sanitizer and encouraging of washing hands before and after entering and exiting restaurants and public spaces.
- Daily health broadcasts for guests and crew.
- Touch free entrances and exits.
- Physical distancing and rigorous sanitization procedures.
- Executives also stated that the company was developing a network of labs around the world and would perform rigorous health screenings on all embarking passengers and crew.
- Health and temperature screenings at embarkation and enhanced sanitization procedures.
- Staggered arrivals and departures to its yachts to promote social distancing through flexible dining.
- Expanded dining times throughout venues onboard to further reduce crowding.
- Increased medical staff onboard all yachts and additional training to all crew on COVID-19 prevention. Crew will be wearing masks and gloves.
- Increased hand sanitizer stations onboard.
- Avalon will reduce the overall capacity of each of its riverboats to encourage social distancing.
- Hourly disinfection of public areas.
- Eliminating buffet and self-serve food options.
- Masks are available and passengers are encouraged to use them for safety drills and disembarking the vessel before tours.
Uniworld River Cruises
- New embarkation procedures including social distancing, mandatory health screening, and luggage disinfection.
- Only fresh air is circulated into staterooms, in addition to the open-air stateroom Uniworld standard.
- Reduced ship capacity for more space onboard, new dining venues for more dining space per person, and adjusted ratios for guides and coaches on excursions.
- Set mealtimes, eliminated buffet service, and discontinued self-service snacks and will now be served by crew.
- Masks are available on buses and in cabins for guests. Crew members always wear masks during guest interaction.
- Contactless payments and books, magazines, and brochures have been removed, and other hand-free policies.
- Focus on crew health and commitment to the cleanest ships with deep disinfections between cruises.
Editor’s Note: We will add cruise lines to this article as more policies become finalized. Avoya Travel is keeping a watchful eye on the affects COVID-19 is having on everyday life. The travel community is collectively changed and information about the new landscape is as important as ever. We’re following the most trusted news sources and official organizations closely, to provide travelers with up-to-date news.
For continual updates and much-needed travel inspiration you can enjoy in the comfort of your own home, follow us on Facebook and sign up to our email subscriber list if you haven’t already.