The Benefits of Planning a Vacation Early
Has vacation been on your mind lately? Do you find yourself day dreaming about tropical beaches or imagine yourself wandering in Europe, but don’t know where or when to start planning?
If you’re the type of person that likes planning activities ahead of time, here are some vacation tips on how and when to find the best vacation deals, accommodations, dining and things to know before you go on your dream getaway…
How to Plan a Vacation and How Far in Advance
Any time of year is a great time to travel, however it also depends on when you would like to travel, the type of vacation you’d like to take, the weather you’d like to experience in your destination and where you would like to go.
Typically, it is best to book early as you’ll find the best available deal and have more choices among accommodations. Among our Avoya Traveler’s, it is popular to book an escorted tour at least a year in advance, a cruise at least seven months in advance and if choosing a resort, it is typical to book at least five months in advance.
There are certain times of year like holidays and summer that traveling is at a higher peak. For example, December, June, July and August are months that travelers enjoy exploring. If you would like to travel during these months, we recommend booking your vacation in the months of January, February and March.
If you choose to do a cruise, tour or resort, there are also many great deals that your Avoya Travel Experts can help you find. Select cruises offer perks like onboard credit, free upgrades and some offer airfare programs.
Take advantage of amazing deals on cruises and vacations
If you choose to do a cruise and would like the ease of booking flights with your cruise in advance, we recommend exploring your options with Cunard Cruises or Holland America. Both flight programs offer flexible airfare, peace of mind and allow you to pay in full when final payment of your cruise is due.
Things to Do Before You Go on Vacation
Whether you’re an early bird traveler who has vacation planning down to a science or you wing it in the moment, it’s always helpful to know what to pack and do before an exciting trip!
Here are a few items we recommend you add to your checklist in preparation for your getaway:
- Make sure your passport is valid beforehand (if necessary for your destination) and check in with the appropriate embassies and consulates for Visa information.
- Follow the CDC guidelines for required vaccinations, if you plan to leave the county.
- Plan a daily spending budget and check the current exchange rate.
- Plan your forms of communication to back home should you wish to keep in contact with your loved ones.
- Check the latest weather report to pack the proper clothing.
- Download the tour/cruise company app if available for itinerary updates and guidance. Costa Cruise Lines and Cosmos both offer a free app.
- Consider a travel insurance plan for peace of mind and coverage.
When does it make sense to purchase travel insurance and what does it cover?
Different cruise and tour companies offer different vacation insurance programs, however most will cover you for emergency medical expenses, emergency evacuation, baggage protection, accidents and illnesses. The purchase of coverage isn’t mandatory; however, it is recommended for most travelers for extra precaution.
For more tips, feel free to ask your Avoya Travel Expert for a packing list.
YOU’RE ON VACATION, WOO HOO!
No matter what kind of travel style you choose: cruise, tour or resort, you can look forward to fun-filled days with plenty to do, even from the early hours of the morning.
If you’re the type of traveler that enjoys planning and starting your day off early, we recommend taking advantage of these amenities and services available with:
- Start your day with a smoothie or fresh-pressed juice at the Spa Café onboard select Celebrity cruise ships, we recommend trying the Energize Smoothie.
- Keep your strength up while at sea with a Core Strengthening or Circuit Training class onboard select AmaWaterways ships. If that’s not your cup of tea, how about starting the morning with a Rüdesheimer coffee, a German delight made with brandy.
- Enjoy the early hours with a Sunrise Stretch and Relax class then continue your day with the most important meal of the day with Oceania Cruises. Onboard you can find breakfast favorites like Eggs Benedict and Swedish Pancakes with Lingonberries.
- Take advantage of year-round sunny weather at any Princess Resort destinations. You can play beach volleyball, check out a bike and bar service is available as soon as 9 am. It must be five o’clock somewhere!
- Enjoy the simple things in life like a gorgeous sunrise from your room at any Breathless Resort, which are typically located right in front of a beach.
One of the most exciting feelings is the anticipation of a trip. Leave it to your Avoya Travel Expert to help you from start to finish. There’s no need to daydream or stress. Let the adventures and your escape to paradise begin.
Related article: Getaway Ideas to Make Any Weekend Feel Like Labor Day